Apartment Decor | Clean & Contemporary

Printed Jar | Target Home
White & Fresh | Lulu & Georgia lamp, CB2 candelabra, Target Home nightstand (just ordered for our bedroom), Jonathan Adler tray
Patterned Pillows | Target Home
The last two weekends Nick and I spent painting our small NYC apartment (our kitchen was fluorescent orange – eek!) and it’s been amazing to see what a fresh coat of paint can do to change an atmosphere. Now that we’re working with a blank canvas it’s time to talk decor.
It’s honestly been a little difficult trying to think of ways to accessorize without making our place too masculine or too feminine. As much as I’d like to splash pinks everywhere and hang Coco Chanel quotes on the wall it’s just not going to happen now that I live with a guy. Nick’s style is clean, traditional and contemporary – nothing too out-of-the-box or “crazy” as he likes to say. While that’s my style too I don’t mind a little “crazy” – so I plan on adding in some pops of color as well as some travel-inspired pieces. We studied abroad in South Africa and brought back a lot of wall art and figurines which I’m hoping to incorporate into the decor. Hopefully we can both compromise here and there and have the end result be a space we both feel comfortable in and love.
I’ve already shared a few previews of our place on Instagram, but hopefully once things are completed I can share here on the blog. But in the meantime you guys gotta help me here with the gender-neutral dilemma… Do any of you live with a guy? How have you decorated with a guy in the home?

25 Comments | in Around the City, Home Decor

25 Responses to Apartment Decor | Clean & Contemporary

1. I just moved in with my bf and did a post on my blog about decorating our place. Would love for you to check it out! It can be tricky to balance two people’s tastes, but it is fun seeing everything come together! Good luck, I’m sure it will look beautiful!
    xo Dina

Sweetest Somethings

2. Alissa says:

Mirrors are definitely my favorite way to open up a space!

3. I’m getting ready to move in with my boyfriend next month and decorating is def going to be a challenge. I think the key is to take one room at a time (post-unpacking) and do it that way. Hopefully we survive! LOL

xoxo
    Cathy, your Poor Little It Girl

4. I’m so excited to see what you guys end up doing with your space. It can be tough to decorate with two people’s tastes, but I bet it will turn out amazing!

Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

5. I found it easiest to make the main areas contemporary and neutral, but we each had different night stands and while we had matching super simple table top desks, around our work space like pin boards and organisational aspects were really personal, more charcoal and leather for him, more pastel for me. We also had to work around pieces we already had.
    One of our favourite things to do was our gallery wall, we went to IKEA, Target, Flea markets, etc. and got a bunch of cheap frames and got 1/3 for my photos, prints, etc. 1/3 for his and 1/3 joint of us or stuff we both loved. It took a while, it changed a lot but I smiled every time I saw it.
    Have a great time decorating 🙂

6. Brooke says:

Target decor is the best! I love that mirror & that table!

7. Michaela says:

Thank you for featuring L&G products, Katie (I work there!) We love seeing them on your cute blog. In good company, too! I love Mackenzie’s things and that night stand it great. Go Target! Fun to have found your blog! xo

8. Kristina says:

I love the simplicity of that white tray!

Kristina

Kristina does the Internets

9. Rachel says:

You sure love patterns, huh? Great pieces!

10. Emily Finta says:

I love the colors & patterns! I can’t wait to get an apartment to decorate.

11. It’s definitely hard to mix masculine and feminine styles. I love all the things you picked out. Especially that rug!
    ~Jessica
    Jeans and a Teacup

12. Love the pops of color–www.motownsavvy.com

13. It’s really challenge to live with someone especially when he has a different taste in apartment design which guys usually do even if they don’t tell you. I always try asking for what he likes first and find ways to incorporate my ideas. Besides, I love a good decor challenge at our Trio Apartments.

14. My sister already found a nice flat for rent in London. It doesn’t have decors yet so we are going to buy online. These apartment decors are great because I love colorful decorations.

15. These are really good apartment decor ideas. I just moved in to my new apartment and it’s not that spacious so I’m looking over some ideas on what furniture to buy. These are good ones.

16. Max Lemmone says:

These are nice interior. The colors are also great. But I would have to say that for me, personally, shabby chi designs are preferable.

17. Eric Jimenez says:

What a lovely decor design! Those contemporary design of interior decoration will be a great addition to the rooms offered in some of the holiday apartments that I know.

18. I wished I had a mirror that huge for my bathroom, though it’s not ideal to have a standing mirror. Instead, I had it hanged on my wall. It was quite difficult to hang it because my bathroom wall is filled with tiles.

19. One of the things we have to consider when decorating is that it should blend with the current design of our home, room or apartment. This is to keep all things in order.

20. I believe that the post has perfect collection of words and a well research. Its awesome! Thanks for sharing. Waiting for next.

21. Everything in your house looks personalized. With your taste of furniture and accessories, you probably prefer a personalized wardrobe too, including bags, shoes and hats.

22. Joseph Perez says:

That kind of furniture is what I needed for redecorating the unit where I am living. Thank you for sharing this.

23. Some of these reminds me of the decors in my friend’s vacation house in Costa Rica. They’re really wonderful.

24. Nick Amalfi says:

Nice pieces you have here. I’m taking a shine to the color palette you chose for them; just gave me an inspiration for my next living room redo.

25. Amore Condo says:

Cute chairs and throw pillow. Adding such ornaments can help elevate the ambiance of the room I even like the color of the clock. I wish I can include this kind of thing in my room at amore ec my wife will absolutely love this. 🙂